Automatic, Low Voltage PFC Units. Designed and Manufactured in Australia
Power Factor Equipment Works to Reduce your kVA Demand (Maximum Energy Required at any Given time) and therefore your kVA/Demand Charge on your Energy Bill. This is Billed at a Rate per kVA.
Benefits of Power Factor Correction:
- Improve how efficiently your energy is used.
- Extend the life of your equipment.
- Compliance with The Service and Installation Rules of New South Wales which requires you have a power factor of 0.9 or above.
- More power available for site expansion without the need for new switchboards and cable.
Power quality is critical to efficient operation of equipment. One contributing element to power quality is power factor.
Power Factor Correction may be required where a system has a power factor of less than 90% (or 0.9).
A poor power factor can contribute to equipment instability and failure, as well as significantly higher than necessary energy costs since it means that more current is required to perform the same amount of work.
By optimising and improving the power factor, power quality is improved, reducing the load on the electrical distribution system.
- Each automatic, low voltage PFC unit is designed and manufactured in Australia. The equipment is designed, built and tested in accordance with an approved Quality Assurance system.
- A full Three (3) year on-site warranty.
- Life expectancy, based on estimates from individual component manufacturers is >100,000 hrs (about 11 years).
- The capacitors are reliable and safe due to the capacitor remaining fully enclosed even in the rare event of a failure.
- High voltage 525Volt capacitors, each with self-healing polypropylene elements and individual over-pressure protective devices.
- Harmonic detuning reactors, per step, to eliminate the possibility of harm to capacitors due to harmonic voltages (and currents) and resonance with the supply system.
- Forced cooling in each cubicle with thermostat control and electronic over-temperature cubicle protection, with alarming.
- Electronic digital controller with protection for temperature, voltage and current harmonics, as well as indication of Power Factor, Voltage, Current of main switchboard
and operational status of each step.
- Switching contactors, rated to switch capacitors.
- Switch fuses and holders, fully shrouded, for protection of each capacitor step
What is Power Factor and how does PFC Equipment work?
The Power Factor is a number that represents how effectively the electrical equipment uses the electricity supplied. The aim is to raise your current power factor number to as close to 100% as possible (or 1). It is the relation between real power, what you actually consume (kW) and the power that is supplied (kVA), apparent power. Power Factor is therefore a figure that represents your utilisation of the power supplied to you.
In practical or simple terms, Power Factor Equipment works to reduce your kVA demand (maximum energy required at any given time) and therefore your kVA/demand charge on your energy bill. This is billed at a rate per kVA.
PFC equipment works by decreasing the total amount of electrical demand.
In technical terms, Power factor equipment supplies the reactive current (eg. magnetising current required by electric motors to turn but does no real work) required by an installation that is normally supplied from the supply transformer and therefore passes through the electricity meters. Reducing this magnetising current through the electricity meters and the switchboard will reduce the cost if the tariff is based on kVA Demand (or apparent power). The power actually used is the ‘real ‘Power (in watts). The power supplied is the “apparent” power (in Volt Amps).
Power Factor = Real Power (kW)/Apparent Power(KVA)
|RECENT CASE STUDY – STRATA CLIENT|
|Current maximum demand||56 kVA|
|Power Factor at maximum demand||0.694|
|Maximum demand with PFC unit installed||40 kVA|
|Power Factor at maximum demand after PFC unit installed||0.999 (see below image)|
|Reduction in demand||16 kVA|
|Annual Cost Savings||$2,036|
|Supply and installation of fully automatic Power Factor Correction (PFC) unit:|
|31.25 kVAr rated system|
|Steps (kVAr):||1 x 6.25 + 2 x 12.5|
|Cubicle dimensions:||1,040 x 600 x 2500||(HxWxD)|
How do We Ensure Professional Supply and Operational Implementation of the Works?
Easily Green are energy efficiency specialists. We are experienced Project Managers, having 40 years experience in the construction industry.
We take care of the entire process for you and source reliable, safe and high quality equipment, designed and manufactured in Australia.
If you would like a free assessment of your current power factor and PFC proposal, or would just like some further information, please click here, or call us on 1300 286 805.